Friday, March 16, 2007

Memories of a lost ski

It rained. And it rained. And there was a bit of sleet. Then it rained again. That was about the story of our week in Stranda ski resort. Oh global warming you accursed blight of the earth!

It didn't stop us skiing though! And it brought back memories of a time many years ago. A time when the Croft family were skiing in Australia. And the little Croft girl, who goes by the name of Diddy or Keo, let go of her cross country ski in the middle of a mountain side, to see it whistle away far down into the valley, only to be found again, after 2 hours of searching.

Well, I didn't let go of my ski. But it did wriggle it's way off my boot and go carreering down the downhill slope, faster than i've ever skiied with it for sure! Now you see, I had a safety strap on my ski. My left ski only. Why only one ski? Well it's a long story I won't go into. Why don't I just say because that was the only ski that had ever come off before!

But my story ended happily. No small blue eyed, blonde haired children got there legs chopped off by my flying ski. And by pure luck my ski managed to wedge itself into some blue netting..... Thank goodness for that netting....
I got a good talking to by the ski lift operator! And teased lots by my friends :S
---
It snowed lots on our last day there of course. But there was huge avalanche danger because of the warmer temperatures, and because it had been so windy. A bit scary when Hans heard a woomph sound, and i saw cracks appear in the snow above me. But it was only a small section of steepness so relatively safe. Regardless to say, we kept to the forest and the prepared tracks after that!
---
Because of the revolting weather, we slacked a lot in the cabin, watched a lot of films. We saw Pirates of the Carribean for the millionth time. And i found out that I really really really want a cannon! And a grappling hook. A grappling hook mostly - just think, all those walls you could climb, all those ships you could commandeer.... Ahhhh
Oh, and a telescopic nose would be cool as well...
---
My search for a summer job in Norway isn't going that wonderfully... looks like I might have to accept a "job" (real of course! *cough*) from Asgeir's brother and use this "job" to get my working visa. Or I could become an illegal immigrant.... (tempting, tempting).
Though I did get one positive answer - but they want to see me in person next week at their office.... I'll try calling them and see if I can do a phone interview.
---
NEWS BREAK!
My hair has been cut for the first time since leaving Australia! I no longer look like the abominable snowman, or a young Bono. Thanks to Liz and Jennifer, my hair is now short again, and i can get through a day without recieving multiple wounds to my eyes from my hair :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey!! My first comment! Been thinking lots of things since I started reading your blog but never got around to writing them. The photos are fantastic!! And I love the stories too. You now need to post a photo of you with short hair so that we can recognise you when we meet you at the airport on your return. Otherwise we might take someone else home by accident!

John C said...

Short hair in winter ...... crazeee

Unknown said...

you should have saved all the hair scraps and knitted them into a lovely warm hair jacket! good insulation! you could even sell them on ebay... or perhaps you could have woven them into a rope to use to tie you together with fellow skiiers so you can be pulled out whenever you start another avalanche! :p