Friday, July 27, 2007

The clothes of the vikings

If you want to attract a bit of attention around the streets of London, all you need to do is put on a pair of fluro green jeans and waltz along without a care in the world. Walking toward Covent Garden today I attracted the attention of a charity money collector. I was all prepared to let rip a yell of fear and anguish, trip him up, and make a helter skelter dash away down the street. Covering my ears with my hands and squealing like a slaughtered pig (or really, a pig that is being slaughtered), I only just managed to lip read, and discover that, no, he wasn't trying to extort money out of my dieting wallet to feed some half extinct tree gecko species, but was, in fact just asking where I'd bought my jeans. I took my hands away from my ears, and stopped scaring the passing tourists with my animal noises, and managed to splutter out that I had bought them in Denmark, and that they were developed from the original battle design used by the vikings when the raided and plundered the English coast.

Well I continued on down the street, a spring in my step, confident in the knowledge that lime green pants, despite being physically impossible to colour coordinate with anything - i mean, they are LIME GREEN! - have the ability to make one noticed in the world, to attract attention, be it good or bad.

3 comments:

John C said...

Lime green....... LIME GREEN !!!! Bought at Roskilde, Kobenhavn or Aarhus?? Think a nice tangerine orange T shirt would blend in nicely with the jeans. Add a paor of yellow shoes and away you go :-)

Unknown said...

Hmmm, you could get deported from Oz if you try to reenter in THOSE!!

Anonymous said...

Such clothing of the vikings, yes, it is indeed the very strangest kind of clothing ever seen to man-eyes.

Once, in that time when humans, swords and ships lives 'hand in hand' in the upper-cold scandinavian lands, in this time a little boy from far, far away travelled his path in the north. -For once, this little boy wasn't use to the dresscode of the vikings, such strange clothes had he never seen before. But this little brave boy stood up with all of his courage, and with the smile on his face, humming some far, far away sounds (it could seem to some as if it was pig-sounds), he walked down the road of life, knowing he was far more brilliant with HIS clothing than the vikings, however he had bought his superior clothing in the scandinavian lands themselves.

Grant a thought for this brave little boy, as he strut the hills of the north.
..What are we to name him?...