Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Life after Roskilde

Life after Roskilde is remarkably free of mud. Free of rain, filled with sun. Copenhagen is sparkling, offering up its sights, sounds, and glorious pastries to me!

The last night at Roskilde took off. It was fantastic. The weather turned beautiful - dark blue evening skies with an occasional faint star poking through. And there was such a communal feeling of happiness, and sadness that the festival was coming to its final, glittering, dancing end. The last concert of the night was one not that many people hand much experience with - Basement Jaxx. We all knew a couple of songs of course, but we didn't know how they would turn out live, what performance they would give. Well, they gave us a darn good night! Never before have I danced so much. Congo trains spiralling through the crowd, people young and old, male and female throwing their bodies around in fits of uncontrollable dancing. The music was infectious, it found it's way into our blood, it entered our souls! A blend of house, salsa, disco, it was a perfectly crafted concert - a gem of organisational genious.

It came to a glittering, firework filled close, and as the organisers said thankyou and goodbye, they had tears in their eyes, reflecting those in ours.

Well life after Roskilde. Life after Norway. Life without people surrounding me, people there at both sides to talk to. I found yesterday tough - i was exhausted, and alone for the first time in almost a year. But wherever i turned i would see people with their Roskilde bracelet on, and have a feeling of kinship wash over me. I chatted to a old version of David Brent from the office, was bored to death with talk about his life working at a aluminium pressing factory, and his life making small computer programs to calculate the most efficient production methods. But I was saved by a fellow Australian who had been at Roskilde too, and chatted to him about our experiences together.

But now I will leave my friendly readers, to continue my explorations of lovely Copenhagen. Possibly tommorow I will take a trip to Malmø in Sweden, On Thursday visit the Helsingor castle, and then take a trip around the Carlsberg factory on Friday. Who knows :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds a little bit tough in the aftermath of Roskilde and Norway, but Denmark will surely and quietly work its magic on you. It will also probably totally wreck your beautiful Norwegian by distorting it into potato-mouthed (but lovely) Dansk!!!

Your plans sound good - no doubt Dad will add his tuppence worth in advice, but I think that just wondering around Denmark in summer will be pretty special whatever you do.

Did you read my email?

John C said...

Jammy, really amazing photos and great writing - actually brought a tear to my eye. I must be getting soppy in my old age :-) Hope KBH and DK don't disappoint and hope it's not a question of us building it up so much so that it can never meet expectations. Life will be tough after Norway but at least you're still in Scandinavia for now so hopefully du ville har en rigtig god tid.